Friday, April 5, 2013

Copper Acetate



I recently bought some acetic acid, you might know it as vinegar, for it's acidic properties. Acetic acid is a week acid meaning that it is relatively safe to use with the main problem being getting it in your eyes. I recommend wearing eye protection when working with acetic acid. I know that acetic acid reacts with iron to make iron acetate, but in my opinion this isn't a very interesting material because it doesn't have very many uses and the colour is a rather ugly brown. I know that to make iron acetate you submerse iron in vinegar, and I figured that to make copper acetate you could do the same and submerse copper in vinegar. After about a day of letting this reaction happen I checked to see how it was progressing. The solution had changed very little, all that had happened was the solution had turned a slight blue colour and the copper was really shiny. It occurred to me that what had happened was the acid had reacted with the very thin layer of copper oxide on the outside of the wire but hadn't reacted with the copper because copper isn't very reactive. I decide to experiment for a while in trying to create an copper oxide that would react with the acetic acid.  At first I electrolyzed the solution using copper wires with the idea that the protons (hydrogen atoms) would be removed from the acetic acid at the cathode and the hydroxide (water minus a hydrogen) would react with the copper to make copper hydroxide ( Cu(OH)2 ). I believed the copper hydroxide would react with the acetic acid (CH3CO2H) to make water (H2O) and copper acetate ( Cu(CH3CO2)2 ). I was right. The one problem is that the reaction reached equilibrium, meaning that although there was still reactants, the reaction couldn’t go any farther because there was too much product already made. In this case there was enough product made that the copper in it came back out and started sticking to the cathode in a slimy sludge-like form. I kept electrolysing the solution but nothing happened other than more copper slime being produced. All the copper sludge gave me an idea: what if I took all of that copper sludge and turned it into copper oxide? I remembered the copper oxide reacting with the vinegar on the first reaction. Now my only problem was turning the sludge into copper oxide. I had done so in the past by taking clean copper wire and electrolysing it in sodium sulfate and then taking the resulting copper hydroxide, drying it, powdering it, and heating in in a crucible until it dehydrized and became black copper oxide. I had an idea though. this was the first time where I had the ability to make semi-pure copper powder. It had a huge surface area and small volume. This meant it would be perfect for reacting. I decided the best way to make copper oxide would be to mix the copper powder with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) forming water and copper oxide. I tried this reaction and it worked. My next step was to add the acetic acid. This worked too. I waited until the reaction was done and observed the result. It was a dark, green, clear liquid. I looked online to check and make sure that what I had was copper acetate. Interestingly enough, aqueous copper acetate was blue, not green. I decided to filter the product and see if I could get a different result. Nothing happened. I poured the solution in a jar and let it sit for the night, when I checked it the next day there was a layer of clear-green slime on the bottom of the container and the rest of the solution was a clear dark-blue. I refiltered the solution and got the result I was looking for: a clear dark-blue solution. When dried, dark green-blue crystals were formed and when dried slowly larger octahedral crystals formed. Through further experimentation I determined that a 1:1 ratio of vinegar and acetic acid was sufficient and optimal for reaction the copper into copper acetate. Although my crystals were not as well formed, they looked like this picture I obtained from wikipedia:

No comments:

Post a Comment