Friday, April 12, 2013

Cold Chemistry

So here's a cool reaction that I've done a couple times and have enjoyed the result: a reaction that makes cold. In reality, it doesn't make cold but instead absorbs heat. The first thing you do is follow the earlier earlier experiment I posted involving the making of copper carbonate.

Procedure:
1. Gather materials
2. Measure 50 ml of hot water in the 100 ml beaker (or large glass cup)
3. Measure 25 ml sodium bicarbonate into the 50 ml beaker (or medium glass cup)
4. Add water to 50 ml beaker
5. Bend copper wires and attach to power supply wires with power supply still unplugged  
6. Tape power supply wires down
7. Insert wires into 50 ml beaker with the bent parts over the lip
8. Observe beaker
9. Plug in power supply
10. Observe reaction, taking note every thirty seconds for five minutes
11. Take note every 5 minutes until 30 minutes
12. Record final observation at 1 hour
13. Add 80 ml of boiling water to 100 ml beaker
14. Filter out water from from electrolyzing beaker and scrape resulting solids into 100 ml beaker
15. Stir 100 ml beaker contents
16. Re-filter mixture 
17. Scrape solids into evaporating dish (a paper plate works too)
18. Wait until solids dry

1. Once you do this you should weigh out 30 grams, about 8 millilitres, and place it in a very large glass.
2. Take 300 milliliters of vinegar and have this in a separate glass.
3. Slowly add small amounts of vinegar to the copper carbonate.
4. The copper carbonate should fizz like soda pop.
5. Slowly add vinegar until the solution stops fizzing.
6. Wrap your hand around the outside of the container. The glass will often be cold enough to cause condensation.
7. Save the remaining solution, this is copper acetate, a very useful and cool substance.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew. I know you haven't updated this blog in a couple of months, but I just wanted to say thanks for the content you have already put up, and I hope you decide to upload more in the future! I stumbled upon this blog after doing a bit of home chemistry myself, and I'm really interested in knowing if you have any new good experiments.

    Thanks for the blog! Keep experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I know it's been almost a year since you commented here, I'm not really into chemistry as much as I was, but I've gotten into electronics and Arduino. I'm starting my blog back up, and I have a lot that I will be posting to it. Thank you for your support. I feel bad for not having seen it until now, but it means a lot to me!

      Delete